Environmental engineering is a branch of engineering that involves protecting the environment and humans from the adverse effects of contamination and pathogens and improving the quality of the environment for human health and welfare locally and globally by applying principles of basic sciences.
The main topics in the field of environmental engineering are:
1. Designing/operating water and wastewater treatment facilities
2. Air pollution control
3. Solid waste management
4. Preservation of natural habitats
5. Noise pollution control
6. Hazardous Waste Management
7. Environmental impact assessment
8. Legal and economic practices in pollution control and prevention
9. Workplace safety and workers health
Department of Environmental Engineering was established in 2011 and admitted its first students in the 2011-2012 academic year. The goal of the department is to graduate capable environmental engineers who have the ethical awareness, entrepreneurial spirit and the will to serve the society.
Currently, the department offers degrees in two programmes: a Bachelor of Science (BSc) Programme and a Master of Science (MSc) Programme.